Wooden Ships Comments on this Brooke Marine TSDY
Built by Brooke Marine of Lowestoft in 1937 as a prototype estuary and river cruiser, and to a smaller configuration than Brooke cruisers built previously.
Until 1939 this boat was the builder’s demonstrator model. At the onset of WWII, she was chartered to the Royal Navy, then purchased outright in 1941, before being shipped as deck cargo to South Australia where it is understood she undertook war service as a support vessel to the Australian Navy Flying Boat squadron.
At the end of the war she was returned to England and purchased back by Brooke Marine. She remained with the family company for some years until sold into private ownership.
In the late 1950’s her then owner re-engined the boat and re-named her “Icarus II”. She remained under that name and through a succession of private owners until purchased by the previous owner in November 1997. “Icarus II” was road-transported to Burnham on Crouch and then subject to a comprehensive undercover restoration taking until May 2000. After re-launch (and now reverted to her original name), Brooke cruised the East Coast before locating to the Thames.
Her current owner purchased in 2011 and has installed new fresh water pumps, a Colin Frake Faversham stove, her engines have been serviced and the Eberspacher heater has been removed, rebuilt then reinstalled. Recently she has had some new planking both sides and some replacement frames. Full detailed list of work available.
LOA 31′ 2″
Beam 9′ 10″
Draft 3′ 11″
Carvel planked in Oregon Pine fastened with copper rivets to steam bent oak timbers. New planking in Larch.
Grown oak floors across the centreline.
External Iron ballast keel with iron keel bolts, 2 drawn and checked in present ownership.
Straight laid T&G pine deck, overlaid with 1/4″ ply and sheathed externally with epoxy glass cloth.
Varnished mahogany skylight over the saloon on the foredeck.
Wheelhouse in white painted panelled mahogany with sheathe plywood wheelhouse roof.
Twin BMC Commander 2.2l 4cyl diesels.
Borg Warner Velvet Drive gearboxes with single lever controls. Stainless shafts to fixed 3 blade bronze propellers. 8 knots cruising speed at 1 gallon/hr per engine.
210l of diesel in 2 separate tanks aft.
300l of water in 2 separate tanks.
12 volt batteries with charging from engine alternators and shore power system with 240v chargers.
Central steps down from the wheelhouse into the aft cabin with 2 single berths and some very nice original joinery at the aft end. 5’10” headroom in aft cabin.
Wheelhouse with good all round visibility. Helm position to port and companionway to saloon on the starboard side. Full size hatches give good access to engines beneath wheelhouse floor.
Steps down into the salon with a Colin Frake Faversham solid fuel stove to starboard and heads compartment to port. Heads has a Baby Blake sea toilet, hand basin and hot water shower.
Moving forward into the main saloon, there is a port and starboard settee berth with some nice joinery at the forward end. 6’2″ headroom in saloon.
Central door into the forepeak which is totally given over to the galley. Flavel Wayfarer 2 burner gas stove with oven and grill mounted on the centreline with a stainless sink either side. Port side sink has pressurised hot and cold running water.
Full specification and details available upon request
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.