wooden ships comments on this 23′ motor launch
23′ Motor Launch built in the 1930’s, believed to have been ordered by Trinity House as a light ship tender.
She underwent a major refit in 2005 in the present ownership and is now fully in commission and ready to go. 2008 survey available.
Clinker planked in pine copper rivet fastened to steam bent oak timbers. Two large sawn oak frames in way of the engine. Teak sheer strake and mahogany transom.
Backbone, stem and stern posts of oak. Additional Iroko floors fitted during the rebuild. New marine plywood bulkheads fitted in 2005 for rigidity.
Fore deck, aft deck and narrow side decks of marine plywood over laid with Iroko on oak deck beams. The whole deck was replaced in the 2005 rebuild.
Superstructure consists of with a low coachroof with teak coamings forward and a full headroom open back wheelhouse with windows all round. Wheel house was new in 2005. Coachroof of T&G pine sheathed with epoxy cloth.
Yanmar 2GM20 20hp 2 cylinder marine diesel with single lever Morse controls.
Stainless steel shaft with fixed 3 blade bronze propeller.
40 litre diesel tank.
Vetus hydraulic steering to transom hung rudder.
2 x 12 volt 110ah batteries charged from the engine alternator. Wiring was all new in 2005.
Small cabin forward with Iroko sliding door. 2 berths under the foredeck with cushions. Sheltered wheelhouse with spoked steering wheel to port. Electrical swiches and switch panels below. Large deep cockpit aft with seating port and starboard. Locker under the aft deck.
5hp Mariner outboard engine
Danforth anchor with chain and warp