Wooden ships comments on this 25′ Luke 5 Tonner
Designed by W.L. Hobbs, built by Luke Bros, Hamble in 1949.
Lukes started in a yard at Limehouse, London in 1829 and eventually settled in what is now Hamble Yacht Services on the River Hamble in the 1880’s.
Bill Hobbs started as an apprentice in the yard in 1923 and became the in-house designer.
His Luke 5 tonner design was a successful small cruiser and several were built in the years following WW2.
Planked in mahogany all copper fastened to steam bent oak timbers on an elm back-bone. The hull was refastened in 1996/7
Long external 2ton iron ballast keel.
Stainless steel keel bolts. All replaced in 2005.
Iron strap floors, copper riveted.
Transom hung rudder.
The deck was replaced in 2005 in scrubbed, quarter sawn pine, yacht laid on a ply sub deck with varnished teak king plank, the narrow seams payed with butyl rubber.
Heavy oak Sampson post on the fore deck takes mooring lines.
Stainless steel stemhead chain roller.
4” toe rail all round with varnished mahogany capping, varnished on the inner face and cut with water ways above a carved cove line which emphasises the powerful sheer.
The yacht has remained satisfactorily original, uncluttered by stanchions and pulpit.
Typical of her period, the narrow coach-roof leaves generous side decks allowing easy, safe passage forward.
Varnished mahogany coamings have retained their colour with minimum staining. Two rectangular bronze port lights each side.
Fore hatch with bronze dead-light on the forward end of the coach-roof.
The coach-roof steps up to a dog-house aft with signature curved roof and twin bronze-framed windows each side. Artistically curved engine-cab trailing edge with heavy capping turns down to meet the cock-pit coamings.
The coach-roof and dog-house decks are laid in pine boards, the coach-roof sheathed and painted with heavy varnished king plank and twin Dorade vents, the dog-house roof attractively finished in varnish with black seams.
Varnished grab rails on both the dog-house and coach-roof.
Self draining cock-pit is all varnished with seat-lockers each side and across the aft end.
Twin varnished mahogany panelled doors to the cabin entrance with bronze vents and lift-off bronze hinges above a step at seat level, and sliding hatch to the cabin entrance.
Teak grating in the well.
Fractional Bermudian sloop rig on varnished spruce mast stepped through the coach-roof onto the keel with single spreaders, jumper struts and diamonds above.
Pole track on the fwd face of the mast with single ring.
Varnished spruce slab-reef boom with bronze end fittings on a galvanised steel goose neck mast fitting carrying fixed belay pins. Lazy jacks make for easy sail stowage.
The boom sheets to a galvanised steel sheet horse across the transom over the tiller which works in a cut-out in the transom upstand.
Stainless steel standing rigging all replaced progressively in the last 10 years with swaged terminals and stainless steel rigging screws to internal stainless steel chain plates.
Twin lowers and cap shrouds to the jumper struts.
Fore-stay with roller furling gear set up from the stemhead to the jumper struts.
Back-stays on bronze Highfield levers. No standing back-stay.
Mainsail by Lodey Sails, 15 years old in excellent condition, marked L5 with sail cover.
Genoa by Lodey Sails on the roller furling gear.
Varnished pole with bronze end fittings.
Pair of original bronze top action sheet winches mounted on the cock-pit coamings.
Halyards on a straight pull.
Double-tailed main sheet on tufnol blocks.
Bronze headsail sheet track on the toe rail with single cars.
Beta Marine 13.5hp fresh water cooled diesel installed new in 2000. Single lever controls and engine start panel in the cock-pit well.
Centre line installation to conventional centre-line shaft drive and 2-blade prop gives 8knts max.
35 gallon stainless steel fuel tank in the lazarette.
Easy access fuel filter.
Sea-cock filter in the salt water intake.
12v battery in the lazarette.
Light switch panel in the cabin to stbd of the cabin entrance.
Accommodation. 3 berths.
The cabin is totally original in all varnished mahogany joinery and absolutely delightful, everything one would expect of a small cruising yacht of the period.
The fore peak is given over to ablutions. 2003 Jabsco sea toilet with varnished teak seat and lid on the centre-line. Chain well forward, stowage bins each side.
Varnished mahogany ply bulkhead with centre-line mahogany panelled door to the saloon cabin.
Comfortable 2-seater settees each side with side-boards each side at the forward ends.
Upholstered drop-down seat backs with varnished mahogany slats to the exposed hull sides above.
Typical of the period, canvas root berths stretch out over the settees and over the sideboards for sleeping.
Part bulkheads at the after ends.
Galley surface in the after port corner running up to the settee berth. Taylors 2-burner paraffin gimballed stainless steel cooker on stainless steel surface.
Plate stowage and lockers behind. Drawers and lockers below.
Hanging locker in the after corner against the bulkhead with useful surface on the top.
Quarter berth to stbd runs up to the stbd half bulkhead making for easy access, the feet of the berth running well aft under the cock-pit seat.
Step box between over the engine.
6’+ head-room aft under the dog-house. 5’6” under the coach-roof.
Mahogany saloon table folds away against the mast.
Original compass as supplied by Luke Bros.
Hand bearing compass
Brass clock and barometer
2 fire extinguishers.
Bronze bilge pump.
25kg CQR anchor
30 meters chain
Mooring warps and fenders.
Cock-pit seat cushions
The real joy of this little yacht is her total originality, unsullied by some distant owner’s bright ideas and trends.
She had a thorough yard refit in Cornwall in 1998 shortly before purchase by present owner in 1999.
Cruised and raced along the coast from Yarmouth Classics to Falmouth Classics, France, Scillies and Channel Islands.