Vintage Mylne motor sailer yacht with aux. rig.
Designed by the great Alfred Mylne.
Built by Archibold Malcolm of Port Bannatyne, Scotland in 1908.
A rare survivor of her type from the Edwardian period, complete, remarkably sound and ready for a major refit. While we have many sailing yachts from this period and a few motor yachts it is unusual to find a motor sailor which has survived in commission and in regular use until only a few years ago.
It is vital that work starts on the restoration of this vessel before the winter. While her condition remains static and the structure is remarkably sound, a wet winter will not improve her so we have persuaded the owner to allow us to reduce the price to a nominal level.
This is a great project and once back on the water will be an eye-catching and rare vessel.
An original drawing shows that she was built with a low coach-roof, deep aft cock-pit and a midships steam engine with a funnel which could be lowered to accommodate the boom when sailing.
The steam plant was apparently replaced by a Gardner in 1938, the funnel removed and she was given a teak wheel-house.
Her ownership history is quite fully documented with many known names on the register. She had 5 owners up to 1939 and was requisitioned for war work in both 1914 and 1939. She was eighteen years in the previous ownership but one then lying in Brighton Marina and in commission.
Both the previous owner for 28 years and Ray Goodey before him back to 1960 kept her in sea-worthy condition confirmed by a detailed survey in 2003.
However there was understandably some deterioration over the years and it is only remarkable that she was found to be still in such good structural condition after nearly a century afloat.
The main stringer which extends aft to form the beam shelf aftof the break has recently been replaced both sides and the port side deck has been relaid in yellow pine with new half deck beams, new carlins, several frame-heads and lodging knees, several shifts of topside planking replaced in pitch-pine.
Sold by Wooden Ships in 2003 on the death of the owner and moved ashore for a refit. A program of timber renewal was started on purchase in June 03 and yard bills from that time show work to the deck, replacement of some frame-heads and some planking.
Sold again to the present owner and moved to Kent where she has been laid up ashore for further work. Inspection in the summer of 2012 show that the wheel-house had been removed, much to the interior joinery dismantled to access the basic structure and the engine removed. Poor health put a stop to the work and the vessel must now be sold.
A very elegant yacht with long keel, straight stem and canoe stern. A step in the deck forward of midships allows a spacious, flush, raised fore deck for extra volume below with 6 bronze port holes each side in the raised length.
The fore deck is extended aft to form a coach-roof leaving narrow side decks.
Varnished teak fore hatch, midships sky-light and entrance hatch in front of the wheel-house.
Separate entrance hatch to the engine room aft of the wheel-house.
Wheel steering on cables to the rudder stock. Steel plate balanced rudder.
Original bronze deck fittings
Planked in 1 ½” pitch-pine all copper fastened to close-spaced steamed oak timbers on an oak back-bone.
Spruce beam shelf, high level stringer and beam stringer. Timber hanging knees.
The topside planking is varnished inside and out enabling full inspection.
Iron strap floors.
External iron ballast keel. 24 new keel and centre-line bolts replaced in s/s in 2003.
Yellow pine decks, yacht-laid, caulked and payed. The fore deck is painted with varnished teak cover boards and king planks. The underside of the deck is varnished.
Original cast steel galvanised stanchions posts.
The teak wheel-house formerly on the coaming against the break of the deck has been removed.
Varnished mahogamny coamings with bronze port holes.
The gaff rig as shown in the original drawings was replaced some years ago with solid, varnished keel stepped masts carrying 530 sq’ sail.
Galvanised rigging wire to internal iron chain plates.
The engine has been removed. Long heavy timber engine beds.
Steel fuel tanks either side.
The earlier interior accommodation provided for 8 berths including an aft cabin aft of the midships engine room.
Examination showed that not much of it was original and there has obviously been some major changes over the years although some original joinery was seen including panelled mahogany doors, companionways and the mahogany galley structure.
6’2” head-room all through.
Many original fittings.
2001 and 2003 survey reporst available + yard bills.
2012 photos available showing present condition.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.